BLACKSBURG, Va. – Virginia Tech, a member of the MCLA Division I and SouthEastern Lacrosse Conference (SELC), has opened the search for a head coach.
The Virginia Tech Department of Recreational Sports is currently accepting applications for the position of head men’s lacrosse coach. The head coach is responsible for the development and guidance of the team on and off the field.
Essential duties include player and team development; design and execution of training regimen; game day operations; directing and supervising assistant/volunteer coaches; recruitment and evaluation of prospective student-athletes; maintain/build relationships with alumni/friends of the program; assist with team management (i.e. scheduling, budget management, team travel, equipment/apparel management, personnel management).
The philosophy of the Club Sports program is to emphasize student leadership and participation. The coach/instructor/volunteer should limit his/her contributions to those involving coaching skills and knowledge and are encouraged to assist with team leadership and membership development.
Desired Coaching Qualities
• Serves as a leader and role-model for student-athletes on and off the field
• Experienced and knowledgeable on the game of lacrosse
• Maintain/enhance team cohesiveness/ culture for excellence on and off the field.
• Work closely with the rest of the coaching staff to instruct players on team concepts.
• Design and execute practice plans
• Attend all scheduled practices and games
• Constructively instruct members on skills and technique.
• Recruit and evaluate prospective student-athletes
• Work collaboratively with team officers and the Club Sports administrators to develop and achieve program goals
• Support/ enhance fundraising efforts for ongoing operation of the club sports program
• Represent the team in regional or national meetings with other coaches or organizations
• Enforce and comply with all policies and procedures established by Virginia Tech and the MCLA, while also serving as a positive role model for the program and Virginia Tech.
Certifications and Licenses
• The head coach is required to be CPR, AED, and First Aid certified.
• All league certification and requirements
• Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, and working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads.
• Depending on job tasks, physical demands may require standing and walking for extended lengths of time and may require lifting, pushing, pulling, moving and carrying items up to 50 pounds (unassisted) and 75 pounds (with assistance), and using ladders.
- Bachelor's degree
- Prior experience playing or coaching lacrosse at the collegiate level
• Integrity and Values - Can be trusted to act in a manner that is truthful and values direct, honest, and professional communication within all levels of the organization.
• Interpersonal Confidence – Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills in dealing with student-athletes, peers, and the general-public; creates and builds positive and productive relationships. Manage collaborative and positive relationships with support services, such as athletic training, recreation and wellness programs, other club sports coaches, intercollegiate athletics teams and intramural sports staff.
• Adaptability – Responds quickly and effectively to changing trends and circumstances; embraces change and welcomes fresh/different perspectives; learns from situations and adjusts accordingly for future.
• Managing People and Processes – Strong abilities to organize people, projects, and processes. Provide constructive feedback with goal of professional and personal development.
• Strategic Thinking – Strong ability to set short and long-term program goals and articulate a plan for continued program growth and development.
• Administrative Proficiency - Computer literacy with common office applications as well as appropriate use/ supervision of social media required.
All Athletic Department positions share responsibility for promoting and maintaining the integrity and reputation of Virginia Tech and its club sports program. In fulfilling this responsibility of this position, the person hired is required to comply with both the letter and spirit of all University policies and procedures, laws, and league and national governing body rules and regulations.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and is competitive with other top MCLA D-I programs. We not able to provide relocation costs for this position.
Candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Final offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check that includes employment history, national criminal background check, national sex offender registry search and, where applicable, a credit check and/or driving record. Review of applications will begin immediately, and continue until the position has been filled. Qualified applicants will be interviewed.
Virginia Tech is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.